Annealing is the treatment of a metal or alloy by heating to a predetermined temperature and then cooling to room temperature. Annealing improves ductility and reduces brittleness. IST anneals in a controlled atmosphere to avoid surface scaling.
Normalizing is the treatment of a metal or alloy by heating to a predetermined temperature above the material's transformation temperature and then controlled cooling to well below the transformation range. Normalizing provides grain refinement and uniformity. IST normalizes in a controlled atmosphere to avoid surface scaling.
Stress Relieving is the treatment of a metal or alloy by heating to a predetermined temperature below its lower transformation temperature followed by cooling in air. The primary purpose is to relieve stresses that have been absorbed by the metal from processes such as forming, straightening, machining or rolling.
Annealing/Normalizing/Stress Relieving Capabilities
- Part Length Range
- 0.25 mm to 762 mm
- Loading Methods
- Bulk Loading
- Batch (3) - load size: 36" x 48" x 30"
high Continuous belt systems (2)
Data log heat treat attributes
Integral pre- and post-washing systems
Slow cool in protective atmosphere
- Customer Process Specifications
- Caterpillar 1E1042
Clark Components International (5X- )
Ford W-HTX-14, W-HT1-15
- Trained/Competent Workforce
- To attain operational excellence, IST fosters employee development by diversifying employee's capabilities, enhancing skill sets and creating a climate for action. Cross-trained employees understand all aspects of the heat treat process, and our customer's needs. Certified employees are capable of receiving, heat treating, inspecting and shipping.
- Technology and Knowledge Management
- To best manage our customer's needs, IST continually refines the knowledge management process and improves information technology resources. We utilize best practices to facilitate the transfer of knowledge to all levels of the organization; employees understand our customer's requirements and act in their best interests.